A Galaxy in Motion
Learn about the axes, orbits, and how
the sun, moon and earth move.
Solar and Lunar Eclipses
Learn about how the earth and moon's orbits cause an eclipse and make the first ever HUMAN eclipse.
Build a Galaxy and Eclipses
Build a model to see how solar and lunar eclipses work. Make some space creatures to populate the galaxy.
To print this activity simply drag the sheets in the tabs below onto you desktop
- A Galaxy in Motionsun, moon and earth
- Solar and Lunar Eclipseshow they work
- Make your Modelssolar and lunar eclipse
- Let's Playcreate a show
- Share your Ideasfor a free Janet's Planet Kit
Drag the worksheet onto your desktop to print
Drag this worksheet onto your desktop to print
For this activity, you can use any of the 3DuxDesign Architectural modeling sets below, 3Dux connectors with your own craft materials or use only materials in your home.
If you don't have access to 3Dux materials, try these instead:
shoe or other cardboard box
scissors (always cut cardboard with help from an adult)
crayons, markers or paint materials
printer: print some of our space creatures and storyboard template (see "Let's Play") and create a performance to bring your galaxy to life and wow your friends. (Create and share a youtube video of your performance for free Special Edition Janet's Planet Kit)
Now that you created an amazing galaxy and eclipse model, it's time to have even more fun! Use this storyboard and these characters (or your draw your own) to create a truly out of this world performance. Maybe there is a an alien that comes to visit Earth. What happens if you don't speak the same language or eat the same foods? How can you make your alien feel welcome? Create a story, video your performance, share it on youtube to win one of our Special Edition Janet's Planet/3DuxDesign Space Station Kits.
* You can also take photos of your performance along with your story board and we can post them for you!
Drag these images onto your desktop to print
how to Make your paper characters come to life
1. Send photos of project plus any sketches, brainstorming ideas, work in progress. Even "mess-ups" are great for sharing!
2. Include written description or drawings if available
3. Video presentation with link to youtube or vimeo
* any photo/video with child needs signed release (drag onto desktop, fill out and return photo of signed document)
5. Share your post on Facebook and/or instagram with tags @3duxdesign , @billionboxproject , @3duxuniversity
We met Janet Ives of Janet's Planet at the Destination Imagination Global Finals when 3DuxDesign teen founders Ayana and Ethan were asked to speak at the world's largest creativity event! We are thrilled to now have the opportunity to work with Janet and her friends at NASA on this project. Read more about Janet on the 3DuxDesign faculty page and watch the Janet's Planet Program Series on youtube.